Transferring files between macOS and also Android or any other MTP devices has always been a problem. There are a few File Transfer MTP applications which are offered online, yet the majority of them are either as well costly or come with poor UI/UX.
The “Android File Transfer” app for macOS from Google has too many bugs, countless limitations, several of which include– not being able to transfer files larger than 4GB, frequent interferences, not able to rename the files or folders on the android/MTP devices.
The majority of the other applications available online makes use of either Wi-Fi or ADB method to transfer the files, which is an incredibly taxing process.
The good news is, there are various other methods to transfer files from Mac to an Android device. Check out the best wired and wireless techniques below.
Best Ways to Transfer File from Mac to Android
1. Transfer File from Mac to Android Wirelessly
Portal is an app for Android and iPhone developed by the same individuals who made Pushbullet, so you know it’s great– Pushbullet is easily among those essential applications for all Android individuals.
Portal is a means to promptly transfer files from a computer system to an iOS or Android phone over Wi-Fi. That’s all it is. It’s so easy; you may wind up asking on your own “that’s it?” since basic jobs like this are frequently made excessively made complex for reasons that are unknown to me.
Portal lets you transfer single files or full folders to your phone, and also moving images are automatically added to your gallery. It simply makes good sense.
How to use Portal
- To get started, point your desktop computer web browser– Safari works if that’s your browser of the option– to portal.pushbullet.com.
- You’ll see a QR code on display. Launch Portal on your phone as well as scan the code when prompted. And that’s it: your phone and also Mac is currently connected.
- Drag and Drop your files from Phone to Web browser windows to move your files. They will certainly start submitting promptly. It’s quick as well since the files aren’t reviewing the web.
- When received, music files are arranged right into the Music folder, as well as images in the Gallery. All other files are saved into a brand-new folder in your interior storage called Portal. You can additionally share or open your uploaded files from directly within the Portal app by touching the Share switch as well as selecting an appropriate app.
Regretfully, Portal only enables one-way transfers, from any computer to your Android device. While Portal used to be readily available for iPhone, the iPhone app is no longer on the App Store.
It’s so quick and also trusted– also when functioning with important files– that also if you hardly ever use it, it’s one of those choose applications that are worth maintaining installed simply in instance.
2. Transfer File from Mac to Android using USB
A USB connection is the best way to replicate big amounts of data to your phone. USB 3 can be faster (relying on your router) as well as is also much less likely to break mid-transfer. This is particularly vital if you’re moving a solitary, big file.
And unlike the wireless option, USB also helps moving files in both instructions: to your phone, and also back to your computer.
OpenMTP is a complimentary, open-source replacement for Android File Transfer. You can download and install OpenMTP from the official website, along with examining MTP’s resource code on Github if you want to.
The app offers a solid range of attributes, in addition to greater stability that makes it far better than the main Android app. It supports:
- Connect using USB cable
- Transfer large files – more than 4GB in one go
- Select between SD Card and Internal Memory
- Split pane views for both Local PC and Android device
- Drag and Drop your files
- Choose between List and Grid view
- Free and open source
How to use OpenMTP
Before you get going, it’s better to uninstall Android File Transfer from your Mac. It doesn’t cause any problem. However, if it’s left installed, AFT will remain to open up whenever you connect your phone. This implies you’ll need to uninstall it before making use of OpenMTP.
- Now connect your phone through a USB wire. On a lot of phones or tablet computers, you’ll see an alert in your shade titled Charging this device by means of USB. Tap this, after that set Use USB For to File Transfer.
- OpenMTP will launch immediately, as well as need to connect to your phone. If it doesn’t initially, reconnect your device, then click the Refresh button above the right-side pane of the OpenMTP app. You’re currently ready to start moving files.
OpenMTP is pretty instinctive to make use of. The interface is divided right into two panes, with your Mac’s files on the left and your phone’s on the right. Transferring files to and from your device are as basic as selecting your files initially, after that dragging them from one side of the display to the various other.
- You can navigate your means with the app just as you would certainly in a typical Finder window. Click the folders to find the files you desire, and where you intend to keep them.
- Select the Storage button over the right pane to switch over in between internal memory and also your storage card, if your phone has one.
- You can’t use the app as soon as you’ve started a file transfer; also you can’t terminate a transfer once it has begun. So if you’re moving a lot of data, it’s a great suggestion to select it all and also do it one go, instead of one file each time. Tick the checkbox over a folder to select that folder and all of its contents.
OpenMTP also allows you to execute basic file management tasks on your phone. You can develop a folder by right-clicking in the pane and selecting the New Folder option from the menu. You can also move files around into various folders, or remove them with the trashcan icon in the toolbar.